Scoil Naomh Colmáin - Clara National School
Clara NS Green Schools
The school is very proactive with regard to our responsibility towards Climate Change and our duties to educating the next generations. We currently have 6 Green Flags with the latest flag being achieved in 2019-2020. Over the years our Deputy Principal, Ms. Murphy, Ms. Gallagher and Ms. Curran have all led the school in our pursuit of our various Green Flags and all green initiatives.
The 6 Green Flags were achieved for the school community’s work in the following areas:
1. Litter and Waste
6. Global Citizenship
Green Schools Committee 2019-20
6th Class: Lucy Boyd Sean Cooke
5th Class: Aoibhe Callery Zak Prizeman
4th Class: Alice Kennedy Jamie Walsh
3rd Class: Emily Phelan Matthew Cooke
2nd Class: Katy Murphy Liam O’Callaghan
1st Class: Tilly O’Regan Patrick Carroll
Snr Infs: Jay Pollock
Teacher: Ms. Curran
Our Green Code for Litter, Energy and Water
• We will wash out our milk and yogurt cartons and put them in the recycle bin.
• We will reuse our drinking bottles by refilling them at home and recycle them when they are unusable.
• If we bring in tinfoil we will bring it home again and reuse it the following day.
• We will use the clothes, phone and battery recycling banks in the school.
• We will only turn on the lights when necessary.
• We will turn off radiators before opening windows.
• We will turn OFF appliances when they are not in use.
• We will close external and internal doors to keep in the heat.
• We will use the dual controls on the toilets correctly.
• We will ensure taps are turned off after use and not leave water running.
• Any broken taps or leaks will be reported immediately.
• When washing up after Art lessons we’ll fill the basins with water and not let the water run.
Our Green Schools Noticeboard is Looking Good!
Thank you Ann O'Shea for all your help!
Chiara from An Taisce, Mr Mulrooney and the Green Schools Committee carried out a “Walkability Audit” outside our school. They determined that our narrow country road is not best suited for walking.
Cycling in Clara National School
Cycling is a very important part of our Green Schools programme. We have some great pics here 1. Some of our pupils promoted cycle safety in the Kilkenny St. Patrick’s Day Parade. 2. Cycling Course at Our School and 3. Bikes parked at our school as some of our pupils start to cycle to school.